Dear me it’s really been too long since I last posted something. Though that doesn’t mean I’ve been sitting still without crafting. As the weather seemed to have skipped winter I’ve already started on my summer wardrobe.
For christmas I received the ‘Colette sewing handbook’, I would recommend it to anyone starting dressmaking. It is loaded with instructions, tips and tricks on dressmaking, from reading a pattern, altering to techniques and 5 lovely patterns to put what you’ve learned into practice. I started at the very beginning with the first item: the meringue skirt. Now I’m usually one for wide layered skirts and this one was a lot more figure hugging. Continue reading
In a vintage shop in Amsterdam I found this dress in the discount pile. The top had some holes, but the skirt still looked fine and fitted perfectly.
At home I cut off the top, put some stitches at the top of the zip so it would stay put and technically the skirt was ready to wear. However I found it a bit too short so I added a white border at the bottom to give it a bit more length.
Voila from a shabby old dress to a brand new skirt in less than half an hour!
Ps. Who else is excited Downton Abbey has started again, my perfect watch while crafting.
A circle skirt possibly has the easiest cutting pattern ever, one large circle. All you need is an awful lot of fabric and in the end you still have a rather large and awkward scrap piece left over.
I bought this pattern for a circle skirt more for the image on the pattern than the pattern itself. If you want to try it yourself, there are plenty of tutorials online.
For the skirt I used an old bed sheet, which might almost cheaper than buying fabric by the metre. The waistband I cut off a great piece of fabric in ruler print. I loved to incorporate it into a skirt, but the pattern was too busy for a full skirt so just this band does the trick. Fortunately the measurements aren’t accurate, no-one needs to know my waist measurement.
Little detail is you can fold over the top of the waistband to cover the coloured band and turn it into a plain blue skirt. When you have a top that do not match the waistband.
I’m also thinking of using the same combination for an A-line skirt with the print as a border on the bottom instead of top, as it is so versatile.
Only 6 weeks in and I have already missed a week. Not very good, but I do have a rather good excuse. I went back to my parents home for a couple of days and received an early birthday present.
I had asked for a new sewing machine and my aunt had a perfectly fine machine I could take over. Not just a sewing machine, but a ‘Pfaff Performance 2056’. New this would have been much above my budget, but she wasn’t using it and this will serve me for quite some time.
I’ve still got a lot to learn, going from a hand-cranked to computerised machine is a big step up, but I’m already loving it and can’t wait to make loads of things.
Therefore last week I got as far as covering a piece of scrap fabric in some of the 337(!) stitches, including writing. It’s smarter than I am!
This week however I took the opportunity to finish 2 of my bigger projects. First the quilt I’ve been working on and seems to have become the introduction to all my machines. I stitched the filling and backing on and then stitched it onto a spare white pillowcase. It’s now proudly prompted on my bed.
The other project is this skirt I’ve been working on at the sewing cafe. Its made of a vintage piece of fabric I had been lying around waiting to be shown to the world. What better way in a piece of clothing.
I followed the instructions from this blog and learned a couple handy dressmaking skills, from gathering to putting in a blind zip. Its quite a heavy fabric, so it stays nicely wide while wearing it, almost if there’s an invisible petticoat underneath.