From this blog you have probably gathered I love a good floral fabric, whilst fabric shopping I have to be careful not to buy yet another flower print to make sure my wardrobe doesn’t end up looking like a wild flower garden. From all these fabrics I naturally have ended up with a stash of floral scraps. Last year I started using these scraps for a couple of machine embroidery projects. I now got 4 of them and decided to stitch them together in a quilt. Quilting wise I’m not really one to follow a set pattern or anything, rather look what shape scraps I’ve got lying about and what looks nice. So I ended up with this square.
Have only made the front so far, need to buy some quilt batting and a nice (possibly more plain) fabric for the back.
And you might have noticed a familiar fabric, the scraps from my meringue skirt were just enough for the borders.
A little while ago I made this small quilt myself. I had seen before how a quilt is made and like to play around so I had made up my own pattern and way of putting it together.
However to learn the real technique my aunt had given me some books on quilting to borrow. (well she had a pile of about 50 books where I could choose from).
Of course I went for some general quilt-technique and pattern books, but most of my interest went to a couple of books by Kaffe Fassett. My favourites look a little too advanced for a beginner like me, but I always like a challenge.
In these books it is not just the patterns, but moreover the fabrics and shooting location which makes them look so good. I scanned in my favourites so I can make them in future. A couple of examples from ‘Quilt Road’ and ‘Caravan of quilts’.
Left to right: Big Bang, Wallpaper Strips, My Fair Lady quilt.
I especially love the My Fair Lady quilt (partially for the name and again fabrics used) and I think the ‘wallpaper strips’ shouldn’t be too difficult to start with.
Only 6 weeks in and I have already missed a week. Not very good, but I do have a rather good excuse. I went back to my parents home for a couple of days and received an early birthday present.
I had asked for a new sewing machine and my aunt had a perfectly fine machine I could take over. Not just a sewing machine, but a ‘Pfaff Performance 2056’. New this would have been much above my budget, but she wasn’t using it and this will serve me for quite some time.
I’ve still got a lot to learn, going from a hand-cranked to computerised machine is a big step up, but I’m already loving it and can’t wait to make loads of things.
Therefore last week I got as far as covering a piece of scrap fabric in some of the 337(!) stitches, including writing. It’s smarter than I am!
This week however I took the opportunity to finish 2 of my bigger projects. First the quilt I’ve been working on and seems to have become the introduction to all my machines. I stitched the filling and backing on and then stitched it onto a spare white pillowcase. It’s now proudly prompted on my bed.
The other project is this skirt I’ve been working on at the sewing cafe. Its made of a vintage piece of fabric I had been lying around waiting to be shown to the world. What better way in a piece of clothing.
I followed the instructions from this blog and learned a couple handy dressmaking skills, from gathering to putting in a blind zip. Its quite a heavy fabric, so it stays nicely wide while wearing it, almost if there’s an invisible petticoat underneath.
I finished the quilt. The corners don’t all line up, but it’s not too bad for a first attempt. It isn’t lined yet so technically the quilt isn’t finished yet, however I am planning to turn it into a pillow cover as a crafty project for another week. So to be continued.